Post updated 7/19/2011 with a handful of additional SEO extensions for Firefox.
Dev Basu over at Search Engine People put together a list of his top 11 Firefox ad-ons for SEOs. I thought I might take it step further and add on a few of my own favorites. Like most SEO’s, I’m a huge fan of Firefox and all the versatility it offers as a browser. With thousands of extensions available to augment your browsing experience, I thought it’d be great to create a resource for the top 25 firefox extension’s for SEO’s that you should know about!
Top Firefox SEO Extensions:
- User Agent Switcher - Adds a menu and a toolbar button to switch the user agent of the browser.
- LiveHTTPHeaders - View HTTP Headers on the fly. Extremely helpful for debugging web applications.
- AutoCopy - Select text and it’s automaticaly copied to the clipboard, like Trillian or mIrc.
- FireFTP - Full-featured, free FTP client that runs as a Firefox extension.
- SplitLink - View the true url that you are being redirected to. Extremely handy for figuring out affiliate redirects
- Download Embedded - Download Embedded does exactly what it sounds like it does. It adds a right-click context menu entry to download all embedded files on a webpage. Its great for grabbing embedded flash animations, movies, music, etc., and a lot easier than digging through the page source or through Firefox’s Page Info.
- BetterSearch - Enhances Google, MSN Search, Yahoo Search, A9, Answers.com, AllTheWeb, del.icio.us and Simpy.com by adding previews (thumbnails) and Amazon product images and info, a quick preview feature as well as “Open in New Window”, “Site Info” and “Wayback Machine” links to the search results
- SwitchProxy Tool - This tool makes it easy to store and switch between multiple proxy profiles.
- ViewSourceWith -View page source with external applications, you can also open images using GIMP or ACDSee or open PDF link using Acrobat Reader.
- Refspoof - A simple toolbar that allows to load a page with a different referer. Makes detecting cloaking pretty easy!
- HTML Validator -HTML Validator is a Mozilla extension that adds HTML validation inside Firefox and Mozilla. The number of errors of a HTML page is seen on the form of an icon in the status bar when browsing. The details of the errors are seen when looking the HTML source of the page.
- InForm Enter - InFormEnter adds a small, clickable icon next to every input field in a web form, from where you can select the item to be inserted - no typing required (and incredibly us
- AdSense Notifier - if you are an AdSense crack addict, this puts your AdSense stats right at the bottom of the page
- ColorZilla - allows you to pull colors off a page
- Google Global - view regional search results from any country.
- Greasemonkey - allows you to add many Greasemonkey scripts (like these) to your Firefox install
- Inbound Link Quality Extension - extension by Bob Mutch estimating the authority of a page based on its number of .edu links, .gov links, and weather or not the page is listed in DMOZ or the Yahoo! Directory
- LiveHTTPHeaders - allows you to view server header response
- SEO Link Analysis Script - extend Yahoo! Site Explorer and Google Webmaster Central using this free script from Joost De Valk. It verifies the link is still on the page, adds PageRank scores, displays anchor text, and highlights if the link uses nofollow.
- SearchStatus - highlights nofollow links, shows PageRank, shows Alexa rank, and provides links to some backlink information
- Show IP - shows the IP address from which your Google search results are being delivered.
- User Agent Switcher - allows you to act like you are GoogleBot or another search engine spider. Make sure you clear your cookies and browser cache before using this.
- Web Developer - allows you to view a page with different browser configurations
- SEO for Firefox - SEO for Firefox pulls in many useful marketing data points to make it easy get a holistic view of the competitive landscape of a market directly in the search results.
- FlashBlock - takes a pessimistic approach to dealing with Macromedia Flash content on a webpage and blocks ALL Flash content from loading until you to click to download and then view the Flash content.
- MozBar - The MozBar provides easy access to some of the most powerful SEO tools and data from SEO Moz.
- Google Toolbar - the official Google toolbar that will give you access to Pagerank, Google bookmarks and more.
- RankChecker - free search engine ranking checking tool for Firefox from SEOBook
Remember, these tools are not a replacement of core knowledge, rather a supplement to those abilities. They will not provide a quick fix. Leave a comment with your favorite tools if I have missed any! I will add them to the list!